The Wroclaw University of Health and Sport Sciences was established in 1946 as the Institute of Physical Education with the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Wrocław. Its co-founder and first rector was prof. dr hab. Andrzej Klisiecki. In 1950 the institute became a separate three-year school, the Wrocław School of Physical Education, which was granted the right to confer master’s degrees in 1956 and adapted a four-year learning cycle. In 1960 the Unit of Therapeutic Rehabilitation was created, which was the beginning of today’s Faculty of Physiotherapy. In 1967 the University implemented the first extramural programmes, and was renamed the University School of Physical Education in 1972.
The University is authorised to confer the degrees of doctor as of 1966 and of habilitated doctor as of 1990.
In 1975 the University took over the Olympic Stadium, the biggest sports facility in Wrocław, from the municipality. In 1977, the Faculty of Tourism and Recreation was established beside the Faculty of Physical Education. However, in 1981, the University returned to its single-faculty structure. In 1955 the Motor Rehabilitation Programme developed into the separate Faculty of Physiotherapy.